Like it or not, "Christmas" has become a musical genre. And as you probably know from last year, I'm sort of obsessed with digging up those phenomenal Christmas jams that never get played at the mall; the rarities, the one-offs, the throwaways — the b-sides. After another year of hard work, here is my mix for 2008:
Download All I Want For Christmas Are B-Sides (ZIP of MP3s)
This year I've been involved in a very important project called CHIRP, the Chicago Independent Radio Project. The project has come a long way and is run by a passionate group of volunteers ... but we still have a long way to go.
I'd like to ask you to help us close out 2008 by making a donation (click the donate button, middle-left). Any amount will help! We're in the process of building up the broadcast studio (located in the Lincoln Square neighborhood) and finalizing operation of our webcast which is scheduled to launch in the next few months. For anyone who makes a donation after reading this, I want to say thanks by sending you a private link to a special bonus track, the most soulful re-interpretation of Silent Night, ever, by Duke Pearson from a rare jazz LP released 1969 on Blue Note. Just send an email to email@example.com with the subject "CHIRP donation for ya."
Thanks everyone and have a groovy new year.
Yours, DJ Bylamplight
1. Santa's Got A Brand New Bag -- Gary Walker
2. Funky Fresh Christmas -- Busy Boys
3. Groovy Christmas & New Year -- Pee Pee Dynamite
4. Comanche (Link Wray's Christmas) -- Wild Billy Childish and the Musicians of the British Empire
5. I Like Christmas -- Bruce Haack
6. Noëlle A Hawaii -- Antena
7. Rodolfo -- Joe Quijano
8. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town -- Duke Pearson
9. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen -- Paquito D'Rivera
10. Soulful Christmas -- James Brown
11. Santa Claus Goes Straight To The Ghetto -- Snoop Dogg
12. Jingle Bells -- Duke Pearson
13. Merry Christmas Baby -- Jimmy McGriff
14. Christmas Hell -- Wild Billy Childish and the Musicians of the British Empire
15. Merry Christmas -- The Jimmy Castor Bunch
16. Silver Bells -- Jacob Miller
17. Silent Night (available when donating to CHIRP, thanks!) -- Duke Pearson